Protecting Our Local Communities
As local businesses residing in the communities they also serve, Maine beer and wine distributors share a collective responsibility in ensuring our products are consumed responsibly.
By only doing business with licensed retailers, we:
- help ensure alcoholic beverages are only sold to those of legal age to consume them, thus reducing underage drinking
- make sure other important laws are followed by producers and those that sell their products
We also take an active role in substance abuse prevention by sponsoring a number of state-wide programs, both individually and as a group, that:
- partner with producers, licensed retailers, and Maine-based advocacy organizations to promote alcohol awareness
- provide resources that teach those that serve alcohol how to prevent intoxication, drunk driving and underage drinking
help servers identify fake IDs
Looking Out for Our Youth
Given that alcohol is a unique product, MBWD is investing in educational programming for Maine youth. Every year, we sponsor in-school presentations about the dangers of underage drinking and DUI. Distributors are also in the process of developing a number of locally-driven partnerships to help keep our children alcohol-free.
Learn more about our outreach to Maine high school students with our spokesperson, Olympian Julia Clukey.
Following is a list of alcohol awareness, alcohol abuse prevention and training initiatives MBWD members actively participate in:
- “21 Reasons” Underage Drinking Prevention Coalition
- Home Runners Ride Home Service
- America’s Beer Distributors: Promoting Responsibility in Our Communities
- Project Graduation
- A Dose of Reality assembly program
- Training for Intervention Procedures (TIPS)
- National Beer Wholesaler Association (NBWA)
- Budweiser’s We ID Program
- Enjoy Heineken Responsibly
- University of Maine public service announcements
- Set Up and Run server training